Friday, April 24, 2009

K.I.S.S.

I dunno if that acronym is widely known outside of geeky academic circles, but it stands for "keep it simple, stupid!" - basically the colloquial/practical version of Occam's Razor, which says that the simplest explanation is usually the right one.

I think this is spectacularly good advice for yoga practice.  

It kinda reminds me of a Bikram quote: he asks, "What is the most important thing in your life?" (a bunch of people answer yoga, spine, breathing, health, etc...) He answers himself: "Your LIFE, you idiots!!"

I was hanging out in the yoga room after class last night practicing postures (mainly standing bow pulling) with the girl who had just taught class, who is getting to be a good buddy of mine.  It was SO helpful to just chill out, play with postures, and go back to basics.  Yoga really is fun for me.  I know it's not that way for everyone, but for me, even when it's as hard as it gets, it's still basically playtime, and I start to get in a little bit of trouble when I loose touch with that.  So it was really good to have some fun with the postures and figure out how to make them better.   Guess what... all I have to do to improve my standing bow is forget about everything except "kick and stretch, kick and stretch, kick and stretch," and all she has to do is forget about everything except "body down, body down, body down."  It's always, always, ALWAYS the most basic things that we need to focus on, and they are ALWAYS things that come straight from the dialogue.

So that's my public service announcement for the weekend - have fun, remember it's just yoga, and keep it simple you idiots!!  And I'm off to San Diego and Palm Springs!!!  xoxo

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hi Juliana!

I think its hilarious how we can listent to the dialogue day after day, and then one class we'll hear it, and do it, and it all makes sense. Doh! (slapping palm to forehead).
You're right, its all in the dialogue, and sometime so simple.
Thanks for that reminder!
Jen