Tuesday, July 28, 2009

BRR! It's cold in here!

One thing that annoys me sometimes: once I'm acclimated to the nice hot yoga room, my body decides that 105 degrees really is the ideal ambient temperature, and I am cold for the other 22 1/2 hours of the day. It's a lovely 70 degrees outside today and I'm wishing I'd brought an extra sweater into my office!

I'm SURE that I'm not the only one with this problem, right?

The upshot was that last summer, when I was working in a restaurant in Boston and it was swelteringly hot and humid, I was the only one in the building who was actually comfortable. When I started to say, "hey, it is a bit warm in here," everyone else was passed out in the walk-in fridge trying to recover from heat exhaustion. I was kinda smug about that.

The sweat reflex sure does operate on a hair trigger, though! I bike for like 5 minutes in warm weather... or stand outside at a bus stop in the sun... and my body is like "Woooohoooooooo, here we go, time to sweat!!" and I'm like, "No no no, not NOW, does this LOOK like a yoga studio to you? We are wearing too much clothing for this!"

Daily practice; this is what is comes down to. Gotta love it!!

8 comments:

heyweng said...

I know exactly what you're talking about!

bikramyogachick said...

I HATE the sweating easier thing. It's inconvienient to say the least. I worked out at the gym a few months ago and about DIED from embarrassment, my tank top was soaked. I was like HELLO we are not at yoga, knock it off body!! :)

thedancingj said...

Haha... I would never feel embarrassed at the GYM! You are supposed to sweat when you work out! All those dry people at the gym are so lazy. But I do feel pretty awkward when I'm on the STREET... or worse, back in Boston when I would ride the subway after class... yikes.

Me said...

I feel the same! I come home at night after class, and my husband has the temperature down to 73... And that is WAAAY too cold for me! I like it around 78 in the apartment.

So, yes, I know exactly what you are talking about...

L.Z. said...

I used to feel that way all the time... summer temps below 80 were "freezing," and it was really easy to break a sweat from light physical activity. My friends thought I was crazy for my affinity to the heat.

hannahjustbreathe said...

Huh. You know, I never, ever attributed my sensitivity to temperature to my daily yoga practice. But, makes perfect sense. Aren't you a little genius over there, Miss Juliana... :)

p.s. Really liking the cd!! I'll need your address so I can pay it forward, too!

ActionJoJo said...

I always hated the cold. Anything below 70 degrees I would shiver or need a sweater. I guess that's why when I first started bikram, I actually looked forward to the heat!

We don't have an air conditioner in our apartment and I'm fine while my poor husband is sweating profusely on humid days. On the flip side, every time I go to the grocery store, the supermarket, the subway, my office: it's freezing!!!! People look at me like I'm nuts when I put a sweater on. Ha!

thedancingj said...

Oh MAN, me too. I've got to bring a sweatshirt to the grocery store, or else I feel like I'm about to die of hypothermia in the frozen food section!!