Sunday, January 31, 2010

Proud Mama!

There is nothing more exciting to me than seeing new people come into class, try the yoga for a few days, and get it.  They moan and grimace through their postures, sure, but their eyes light up like fireworks after class.  I work at the desk at my studio, so I get to talk to a lot of students, and the excited newbies are the best part of the job by far.  I'm not even teaching the classes yet, and I still get a rush every time I see that little spark of yoga land in someone's chest and catch fire.  I don't know how or why it happens, and that's part of what makes it so special.  The process just works.

A friend of mine from Boston just sent me an article from a local website entitled "Hot Yoga Mama or Mouth Breather?"  She said, "I'm sure your happy smiling face contributed to her new love of yoga."  Oh wow!!  I totally know who this person is!  She's been asking me tons of questions about food and water and electrolytes while I work at the desk, and I sold her a class package last night.  YAY!  She is so hooked!  I really can't take much credit for this one, since all I've done is blab with this woman after class for 5 minutes a couple of times, but I feel like such a proud mama anyways.  "It takes a village," right?  I am definitely a contributing member of the Bikram yoga village.  That's a good way to put it.

This makes my night!

I can't imagine how I'm going to feel when I'm actually teaching the classes and people have this kind of response.  Holy crap!  This must be the best job ever!  Give me just one of those every few days - heck, even every few weeks - and I should be able to put up with all the other stuff that comes with the territory.  The crazies and the endless laundry and the long sweaty days?  No problem, as long as people keep coming in and getting it.

The article is hilarious, by the way - Nicole is a great writer - so be sure to give it a read!

8 comments:

bikramyogachick said...

You are going to wind up being more than a teacher. You'll be on staff at TT someday and then after that I'll be paying to take a Julianna seminar! :)

bikramyogachick said...

Oh, I just read the article! Awesome!

Rebecca said...

Hey - I know that feeling. After two months of asking, my hubby went to class last night. I was so thrilled. He really did a great job! And ... he signed up for the 30 day package. I could just die!!!!

I do have to say those, what I call the Oprah effect is making class really difficult for me. It's way to crowded all the time now. I hate to say it, but I'll be happy with folks stop showing up and we are left with those with real interest in yoga.

Is that terrible of me? Is anyone else seeing class size triple?

Rebecca

Catherine said...

"It's like a hot time out."

This rivals "FUCK THE TURTLES" for brilliance in describing class.

Danielle said...

That article has me smiling ear-to-ear! You just WAIT until you see your first new student come back the next day... it makes me all warm and fuzzy EVERY STINKING TIME.

The best one yet: Directly after class a new woman says to me, "WHAT just happened in there?" Me: "more than you could know." Her: "Yeah. Wow. I think I just turned a new page in my life."

Elisa said...

Rebecca--so you've actually seen an influx of those who've read Oprah? Interesting. I don't know if I've seen that, but I've thought about "the Oprah Effect" before related to readings. (Don't get me started on her "William Faulkner Book Club!"

But then I think, ah, salud. Maybe if it gets 'em in the door, a few will stick around.

What bugs me--and I'm pretty sure it's related--is when women, some of them fairly regular, that complain a lot before and after class about their appearance, their weight, the "work" they've had done. There's not too much of that at my current studio, but when I do hear it, I wonder a little. Does the desire for a tight ass really keep you coming in the door? Wouldn't you burn out if that's all it was?

Rebecca said...

Yolk (Elisa) - I do think what I've seen is the Oprah effect. It wasn't due to the New Year, it came too late for that. Class size went from maybe 20 people to 45+. I haven't talked to any teachers about it, I'll have to check with them to see what their take is.

I do agree though, I hope it sticks for them. I hope the studio adds more classes and as a result we aren't mat-to-mat.

I'm glad I had smaller classes when I first started. I would have been turned off by these huge classes and fighting for a space to place my mat. I wouldn't have been able to turn off the noise in the room to focus on the yoga.

I did my first class without the mirror Monday because someone setup in front of me. I moved as much as I could, but for the most part I focused on the back of a head for class. It was interesting, because I wasn't new. It wouldn't have been otherwise.

I better stop ...

thedancingj said...

BYC - Let's not get ahead of ourselves!!!! Haha.

Catherine - I know, what a brilliant little phrase!

Danielle - AAAH, love that!!

Regarding class sizes - there's always a big jump around early to mid January. Sometimes the New Year's pop has a little time delay. I'm sure Oprah is part of it, too, but it's all part of the cycle! And personally, I am happy as a clam with the mat-to-mat classes. Tons of people, tons of energy, tons of fun!