Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Salt Water and Fresh Air

I cut one of the last threads to my "old life" today when I went back to my school to clean out my desk and turn in all my things.  I meant to do this weeks ago, but I... put it off.  Sometimes I have trouble with endings, even when they're good, and this is a pretty big one.  So long, old life!  No more grad school, no more lucrative and respectable engineering career.  I'm a free agent, now.  Traveling yogi, soon enough.  It feels radical and right.

After, I walked down to the beach.  Today was a beautiful day.  We were supposed to have pouring rain all week here, but by mid-morning the rain had stopped and the sun had come out.  The waves were higher than usual, and the wind was cool and salty.  There was seaweed all over the parking lot that had blown up during the storm.  The ocean was big and wild.  I liked it.

I tasted the air and felt like I was ready to really move forward.

I heard a saying once.  "The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea."  My usual medicine is sweat, but sometimes the sea can also give you what you need.  (So can tears.  Months ago, I sat in my car at 6am at that same beach and cried, and then when I was done, I knew exactly what I needed to do next.)

Duffy gave a beautiful quote today, from Rolf Gates:  "Letting go is the opposite of fearing death; it is trusting life.  When we let go of something, our hand opens and we are able to receive."  I read that, and wondered who had let him into my head.  When we let go of something, our hand opens.... Yes.  Letting go means opening a window and letting the old clutter rush out, to be replaced by fresh air.  Then you can breathe.

Move on.

9 comments:

aHappyYogi said...

I love that saying!

May your yoga-travels take you to all nice places!

hannahjustbreathe said...

I struggle with endings, too. But, all endings also mark a beginning, right?

You're on the right path. Simply because it's the one you've chosen.

Hugs.

Lindy B said...

Hey girl! I am so thrilled for you! I will look forward to someday taking a class with you and getting my ass kicked. Those, after all, are the best! :-)
-L

bikramyogachick said...

This is a beautiful post. I could almost smell the salty sea air as I was reading it and I felt a pull to drive out to so cal! I'm so glad you are taking this risk and following your dreams. Perhaps someday soon I will be brave enough to follow suit.

Big G said...

Great, great quote.

lynxofsilver said...

Hey J! This is a wonderful post. Like hannahjustbreathe says, endings are also beginnings. I love the letting go quote...am going to write it down and pin it up somewhere.

Meg VR said...

Rajashree read something similar that was really cool. Move forward into your life with a full heart and empty hands.

thedancingj said...

Thanks, all. :-)

Meg, that sounds great... and Rajashree has such a beautiful reading voice, too...! I love her.

Ceiling Contractors Bellflower said...

Great readinng your post